cherished canvas

cherished canvas

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Just Rock Out!

My son sits next to me with Toby Mac playing in his ears, singing in a room full of gymnastic moms without a care in the world.  His eyes are shut and a worship song begins to play.  He doesn't look around to see whose turning their eyes to see him singing; he just rocks out.
Then, there's me.  Consumed with thoughts.  Sorting out details.  Trying to make sense of things that don't make sense.  Overwhelmed by decisions.  And thinking about how these decisions may affect him.

Our shoulders touch, but our minds are on different planets, probably on different galaxies.

And then, I hear a still, small voice in my heart as I stare down at his brown hair:  "Stop worrying.  Don't you see him?  He's rocking out.  He's living life to the fullest.  He's trusting you as his parent to guide and direct.  When decisions need to be made that may affect him, he'll know when it's the right time.  Now would be too soon.  Now he would miss the present.  Don't you get it?  Look up.  I'm here.  I want you to rock out, live each moment, sing like no one is listening, and trust me.  As long as you stay close to Me and know My heart, you will know when the time is right, and know that I am good.  Just rock out."

Our shoulders touch again, and my mind clears...mother and son are now on the same planet, with the same view.

"Be still, and know that I am God."-Psalm 46:10  

No comments:

Post a Comment