cherished canvas

cherished canvas

Friday, February 28, 2014

8 Days & Counting 'Til Our Move: Friends Are The Family We Choose for Ourselves

A dear friend handed me a card with a beautiful necklace inside. The words delicately inscribed read,
"Friends are the family we choose for ourselves."  
It got me thinking...all those times that "family" has been by our sides the past 17 years, and the reel inside my head begins:  
For those who...
held our babies
threw me wedding and baby showers
sent letters and packages to Kenya
welcomed us when we came back 
dropped us off and picked us up from the airport
sat next to me in all my craziness at Little League and soccer games and gymnastics meets
cheered for our kids
taught our kids
coached our kids
watched our kids for one reason or another 
invited our kids 
entrusted your kids with us
listened and listened and listened
allowed us to put your names on the emergency card for the kids' school 
heard our hearts
prayed with and for us
cried with us
laughed with us
celebrated with us
mentored us
worked and served with us 
showed up at our doorstep with a hot meal
gave us hand-me-downs
invited us into your homes on holidays
encouraged and deepened our faith
inspired us
loved us...
THANK YOU FROM EVERY PART OF OUR HEARTS! 
We love you and you will always be family to us.  Always.  

2 comments:

  1. This is so sweet, Anika! I wish you all the best as you move (back) to the Northwest! Sorry I never got to see you 'down here'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anika,

    You are one of my most treasured sisters! We will think of you and pray for your family often. Can't wait until we make the next trip to Oregon to see my family so we can visit.
    Love you all lots!

    ReplyDelete