cherished canvas

cherished canvas

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Soccer Tournament in Kenya and a Coloring Book in Albania: You Just Never Know



We were beginning our Bible study time in our circle on a Tuesday morning a few weeks back, sharing a highlight from the previous week.
It was my turn.
Kigen talking to the children
I shared how the soccer tournament began in Kenya we would soon be part of, and we were able to talk to our friend, Kigen, about it.  I told the ladies how over 250 kids came from all over the Eldoret area to be part of this tournament, and one of the teams was a team of street children.  They were there wearing their worn clothes, their only possessions, but they showed up.
I glanced across the circle and saw one of my new friends wiping her eyes.
I continued.
This tournament, I said, is an opportunity for these boys that they don't ever have, and it's been an encouragement to our hearts as we prepare to see the value and purpose.
When I was finished, my teary friend spoke up.
"Can I say something?" she asked.  "That was me. I was one of those children."
All of our hearts waited for her next words.
"For me, it was in the slums of Albania when nuns from Italy came to our country and offered me a meal and a coloring book.  I came because I was hungry, and I found Jesus.  They were so kind.  You never know when you're making a difference.  God can use anything."  
It was my turn to wipe my eyes as her words sunk into the depths of my heart.
She's right.
God can use anything.  We just need to sometimes show up.


No comments:

Post a Comment