cherished canvas

cherished canvas

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Autumn: An Old Friend Who Has Come Home




"What is your favorite season?"
This question was our Question of the Day at a staff meeting nearly a year ago. 
My answer was autumn.  Growing up as a Washingtonian, the never-ending summer days reigned supreme, but as I became a Californian my blood flowed for fall.   
Now as an Oregonian, autumn is a treasured friend that has been reunited with my heart.  We've been apart for 18 years, and it's so good to see her again.  Radiant.  Refreshing.  Unpredictable.  Lovely.  Stunning.  
Sometimes you don't know what you've missed until you see that friend again, and it all comes back.  All the memories.  All the joy. 
Like the warm October day when my brother and I drove to high school with the windows down and Journey blasting on the radio.  Meridian Ave was filled with fluttering red, yellow and orange as the leaves danced in the wind on the street from the naked trees above.
Or running around the muddy pumpkin patch hoping to pick the perfect orange plump beauty to take home and carve. 
My kids get to see the colors of fall and experience the seasons.  Finally!  It's new to them. 
And it warms my heart when they say, "Mom, did you see that?", pointing to a marvelously painted red maple tree.
Yes, I sure saw it.  Along with them, I'm not missing anything!   
And in my own life no matter the season, I don't want to miss anything. 


No comments:

Post a Comment