cherished canvas

cherished canvas

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

1st Day in Portland: Our New Home


Yesterday was our first day in our new residence, Portland.  We had a warm, incredible welcome! The sun was bright.  The trees were showing their fragrant pink and white blossoms.  The stream trickled delicately downstream as I ran in the opposite direction. Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens were enormous with their snow caps.  The rivers glistened in their fullness.  

Before dinner, we headed to the bustling park where my California thin skin was covered in a jacket and everyone around me wore shorts and a t-shirt.  The Pacific Northwest has never gone too far from me, and I don't feel like I'm in foreign territory; I do feel like I'm home, and I'll soon join the masses and wear shorts on a day like today.  
As I looked around the park and watched my kids swinging, running, smiling and climbing, I stood and realized...this is completely a new beginning.  I kept thinking that I saw someone I knew.  That's how it used to be when I went to the park, or store, or driving down the street.  There's something comfortable and soothing about familiarity, but there's also something sweet and significant about new beginnings, albeit difficult.  I'm trying to relish in the sweet and significant, realizing there will be many introductions and names to remember.  Patience.  Give it time.
Day two was much of the same.  Except this time at the park I met another mom, Sarah, who was pushing her daughter, Rachel, in the swing next to my daughter, and we talked and learned about each other.  As we said goodbye, Rachel turned to her and said, "Mom, did you make a new friend?" 
Oh yes!  Little did Rachel know that comment did my heart a lot of good.  Hope for new friendships. 
And as I write, Kaylee is snuggling with my mother-in-law as they watch a movie, and my father-in-law is at the ball field with Matt and Cameron....my heart is happy.
Patience.  Give it time.  I am glad to be here.

1 comment:

  1. The sunny days are so sweet and welcomed up there! My facebook feed has been blowing up with Oregonians and Washingtonians making comments about the delightful sunshine. It's always a refreshing lesson in thankfulness for me. :-)

    We miss you dearly, yet love reading about your new beginning and treasured moments!

    ReplyDelete