cherished canvas

cherished canvas

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Losing The Safety Net

The tightrope walker steps from the plank of security onto the tiny rope that holds the weight of the artist as she moves one foot at a time with balance, focus, and grace.  She didn't arrive on this rope by chance; it was a progression of overcoming fears, starting low, and learning as she went.  Now she is high above the place where she started, her view is grander, more spectacular, but her heart races faster.   The maxim, "Don't look down!" does not apply to her as she must see where the rope is, looking ever so slightly ahead of her toes as not to lose sight of where she is going, but never looking back.  She is in the present...in the now...in the moment.
One more thing is removed: her safety net.  The stretchy, joined together ropes that are her constant safeguard are gone.  She knows it is time.  She must remove the item that she has depended on and risk it all.  This is what defines this moment.  It may seem nonsensical to some who veer away from risk and adventure, have not encountered her progression or have never stepped onto the rope in their own lives, but it's what draws in the audience to watch, to wait, and to see what will happen.
My tightrope walk starts.  The safety net that has been there a long time is removed, and I'm walking on this wobbly rope one foot in front of the other, not looking back, but not looking too far ahead.  My heart is beating hard, my head is wondering too many things, but it's been a journey to this point, and I can't go back.  With the safety net, no faith is required.  Remove the safety net and all I can lean on is my trust in a good God that loves deeply, cares sincerely, and gives generously.  He has proved that over and over and over again.
Why wouldn't I trust that now?  And if I were to fall, He will swoop me up and put me back on the rope to try again.  So, I step and wait in expectation.

No comments:

Post a Comment